1. check out my roommate Maggie’s meditation on Persepolis/Maus + webcomics
3. on a related note–I also vow to read and review anything that any of you comics pushers out there see fit to send me… I haven’t been very good at keeping my promises on this blog, since about 2005, but this is one that I will keep!
4. I’m about to begin re-reading the Gruenwald Captain Americas. When I’ve built up a reasonable head of steam (and pre-written posts), you’ll be hearing from me (although it may not be on Motime)
5. and, over on Geoff Klock’s blog, Jason Powell is on the verge of discussing X-Men #150, which, even to my somewhat Claremont-indifferent mind, looks like quite a milestone issue indeed, in retrospect–so I’m gonna re-read that one over the weekend too…
6. I’m still puzzled by the amazing outpouring of love for Dark Knight, especially by all of the “it redefines what a superhero movie can be” stuff…
how on earth does it do that?
it’s got one great performance (by Ledger); careful visual design, well-choreographed action sequences; and…what else?
the political philosophy was pedestrian (and reactionary); the performances were mostly competent, but unmemorable; and the Two-Face stuff didn’t make one damned bit of sense (not that I require movies to make sense–you know me better than that!–but it made no sense in a completely uninteresting way–unless you count Nolan’s assumption that the audience would accept Dent’s transformation into a maniac bent on attacking Gordon because there were some corrupt police on the force????????? as a fascinating cultural phenomenon?)
oh well–no one understands why I love D.O.A. either…
good afternoon friends!